Location: Abbey Road, Barking
Client: Furlong Homes / Gladedale
Originally a development of 184 residential units of six, four to nine storey blocks above a basement and podium. Including a sailing club, together with alterations to the river wall and associated access roads, car parking, landscaping, river walk and public square.
Our Optimisation/Value engineering approach covered various aspects on this project such as : -
- Redesign of all ground levels
- Achieving cross ventilation to basement
- Improved traffic flow to basement car park
- Rationalisation and reduction of access and service cores
- Reduction in storey heights and concrete frame design
- Introduction of light weight external and internal walling systems
- Review of external finishes
- Simplification of building footprint
- Significant reduction of build program and increase sales revenue
An increase in units from 184 to 254, with a revised mix of 1,2,3 bedroom apartments reflecting the current market demands at that time.
A £1.5m reduction in build cost and increased sales revenue of £6-7m. These savings, additional revenue and time savings added significantly to the overall project.